When we hit a “healing crisis” also known as the “Herxheimer reaction” and start to detox, we tend to quit using our nutritional products because we tend to assume they’re making things worse. Instead of quitting, we must keep on with the nutritional therapy, to “ride out” the cleansing, rebuild, and follow the healing process so we can enjoy better health than we’ve had in the past.
Many people are caught off guard and fail to understand and interpret the symptoms which follow a change to a healthier lifestyle. Many of these symptoms and changes are unpleasant but they are short in duration and are sporadic and are a necessary part of the healing process.
According to Dr. Karl Herxheimer, there are several reasons why this happensL
- The body and mind begin to show changes because the quality of nutrients coming into the body is of a higher quality than the tissue which the body is currently made up of. The body begins to discard the lower grade materials to make room for the superior materials.
The discarding of the material can come through the bowel causing diarrhea, through the kidney causing back ache, through the respiratory system causing a cold or through the skin causing boils, acne, rashes, psoriasis, etc.
- Indigestion, heartburn, flatulence, bloating and burping usually starts soon after you start nutritional therapy. This happens because your body is not used to digesting these nutrients. This often indicates that you have been deficient of these nutrients for a long time. The body’s digestion usually improves in a week or two. Taking the nutritional therapy with meals & with digestive enzymes will often help.
- Suppressed body functions will be stimulated to detoxify the body, sometimes inducing colds, diarrhea, fevers, swelling, acne, boils and vomiting. This is temporary and is part of the healing process. The body will return to the same level of health as before, if not superior health, UNLESS you do something to suppress this progress.
- Nervousness, headaches, fatigue, irritability and depression often happen when you cut out any artificial stimulants such as sugar, chocolate, coffee, tea, soda, tobacco, caffeine or recreational drugs. You will not get the desired result if you substitute one artificial stimulant for another.
It is important at this time to rest and sleep more. Once the artificial stimulants are eliminated the body is ready for the building process. The energy of a healthy, well nourished body is superior to any artificial stimulant.
- Moderate weight fluctuation often occurs (either weight loss or weight gain). If you continue the healthier lifestyle the weight will stabilize.
- Skin eruptions, warts, boils or acne. The skin is the largest eliminating organ, so the concept of toxins coming out through the skin is easily understood, even if it is hard to face.
- Aches, pains and arthritis will often get stirred up, even if you haven’t been suffering with it for years. This happens because uric acid and toxins aggravate these conditions as they are cleansed from the body.
- Fevers are not uncommon when dormant bacteria and viruses are being cleaned out.
- The body heals most efficiently during the proper level of sleep. So while healing, sick or injured, the body will induce fatigue to help ensure rest and sleep.
This sounds discouraging, but the healing crisis doesn’t last very long and the benefits of clearing the body of these toxins and disease elements are vitally important. These bacteria, viruses or toxins are going to show up sooner or later. You can either have a healthy body to handle them on your own terms, or they will overpower your weakened body later on. It is better to go through a small healing crises than a full blown health crisis.
Notice: This information is from Dr. Clair’s research work and is not intended to diagnose, prescribe for, treat, or claim to prevent, mitigate or cure any disease, and does not take the place of a medical physicians advice or recommendations. The support & suggestions we may give /offer and the statements made on these products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Consumers are advised to read all labels and consult a medical physician before following suggestions or directions of our research work.